Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chapters 9 The four lesser vehicle realizations



"Subhūti, what do you think? Does a practitioner who has attained the level of srota-āpanna think: 'I have attained the realization of the srota-āpanna?' "
Subhūti said, "No, World Honored One. And why not? Because the name srota-āpanna means 'stream-enterer,' and there is in fact no stream to be entered. One does not enter form, sound, odor, taste, touch, or concepts. Therefore one is called a srota-āpanna."
"Subhūti, what do you think? Does a sakṛdāgāmin think, 'I have attained the realization of sakṛdāgāmin?' "
Subhūti said: "No, World Honored One. And why not? Although the name sakṛdāgāmin means to go and come one [more time], there is, in reality, no going or coming. Therefore he is called a sakṛdāgāmin."


"Subhūti, what do you think? Does the adept who has attained the level of anāgāmin say, 'I have achieved the realization of the anāgāmin?' "
Subhūti said, "No, World Honored One. And why not? Anāgāmin means non-returning [to this world], but there is, in fact, no such thing as returning. Therefore this person is called an anāgāmin."
"Subhūti, what do you think? Does the arhat think, 'I have attained the realization of the arhat?' "
"No, World Honored One. And why not? There is, in reality, no such a thing called 'arhat.' World Honored One, if an arhat should give rise to the thought, 'I have attained the realization of the arhat, this would mean that he is attached to the notions of self, person, sentient being, and life span.' "


"World Honored One, you have said that I am the most proficient in terms of the attainment of the meditative absorption of no-contention, and that I am the arhat most free from the desire. But I do not give rise to the thought that I am an arhat who is free from desire. World Honored One, if I were to give rise to the thought that I have attained the level of the arhat, then you would not have said of me that I enjoy the practice of forest-dwelling, since there is in actuality nothing for me to practice. Therefore I am called 'Subhūti, the one who enjoys the practice of forest-dwelling.' "

No comments:

Post a Comment